don't let the smell stop you

Tuesday, May 04, 2004

postal service - brand new colony

as much as i'm going to love summer, i'm starting to dread it. i'm already forseeing lots of work, and time spent with the family. what happened to summers spent with friends and good times and good laughs in the sun? oh, right. i'm down to enough friends to count on one hand, with enough leftovers to make a turkey with. my only response to this feeling - in the winter i dye my hair, in the summer i pierce my ears. lately i've had no patience for all this drama people create in their lives. scott said it - "the real world has raised a generation of teenagers who are compelled to talk about how they feel." i need a hobby so i can focus this wasted energy into something other than finding reasons to feel sorry for myself.
i keep remembering my favorite christmastime song. that song by weird al. "then he picked up a flamethrower and barbequed blitzen! and he took a big bite and said 'it tastes just like chicken!'" o-oh, the night santa went crazy, the night kris kringle went nuts. can't hardly walk around in the north pole without steppin' in reindeer guts. this, as well as dropkick murphys, has been keeping a goofy, unexplainable smile on my face all day long.
saturday my mom and i are going up to bothell as her mother's day gift. we're going to drive around to all the stores she used to take me to as a kid, so she can reminisce over all the cute clothes i used to have and maybe buy some new kitsch for the house. i'm actually looking forward to it. and the san juan islands are starting to sound really nice. she's almost got me convinced to go. it was mostly the description of "finding some inner tubes and just lying there for the day. the water gets so warm it's like bath water." what, we have places like that up by bellingham? my mind can't grasp this. but it sounds relaxing.